Guanahacabibes - Pinar del Rio - Havana
- Length: 8 nights / 9 days
- Ideal for: Nature Lovers, Conservationists, Cigar Aficionados, Old Car Gurus, Foodies, History Buffs, Art-lovers, Music Enthusiasts
- Trip Take Aways: HOPE! Coral Nursery Farming, World Class -Tobacco Plantation, Ecological Conservation of the Coast against Plastics, Debris & Overfishing. Sea Turtle Conservation. Inspiration through Art. Resilience and success of Private Entrepreneurship of Restaurant Owners and Private Bed & Breakfast Owners.
This program inspires hope in action through humanitarian-environmental projects and citizen science partnered with Cuban Marine Biologists in Guanahacabibes National Park.
You’ll engage in citizen science programs while directly supporting the Cuban civil society through community projects, donations of useful items, meaningful, cultural engagement, dialogue and joint art projects with a focus toward conservation. Humanitarian support includes helping civil society Cubans such as private business owners to establish and or grow to streams of income to better support themselves without the Cuban government.
Guanahacabibes National Marine Park is an amazingly biodiverse region of the planet and a story of hope for the present and future. During the most difficult time of starvation and austerity in Cuba known as the “Special Period”, in the 1990’s, the story of Guanahacabibes National Park began to unfold when the marine and terrestrial resources of this area were being depleted. The story was founded by a vision from Cuban Marine Biologist, Dr. Elena Maria Ibarra Martin who initiated a conservation vision under a political framework and economic tragedy most would consider impossible and continues to thrive as an official Mission Blue Hope Spot with programs targeting 5 local environmental projects which you participate. Prepare your heart to become an ambassador for the real Cuba when you share your perceptions from this unique, compelling experience. During this HOPE SPOT Conservation Expedition, you’ll meet with & directly supports the Cuban civil society including:
- local marine professionals
- private business owners
- school children
Learn more about the program by downloading a detailed itinerary
- 23 Meals: 8 breakfasts, 7 lunches & 8 dinners
- 10 Marine Immersions
- Entrance/guide fees for activities listed on itinerary
- Donation to local community organizations
- Bilingual local guides