Santa Lucia – Nuevitas – Camaguey
- Length: 7 nights / 8 days
- Ideal for: Shark Enthusiasts, Art-Lovers, Country-side Quaintness, Dance Appreciation
- Trip Take Aways: Bull Shark Conservation, Peaceful Tranquility, Full in-tact shipwrecks, Ecological Conservation of the Coast against Plastics, Debris. Engage with and create art with Unesco World Hertiage Artists & Potters. Support Unique Community Projects with Doll-makers for Kids Cancer. Enjoy a Private City Orquestra Concert. Private Entrepreneurship of Restaurant Owners and Private Bed & Breakfast Owners.
The centerpiece of the Central Cuba itinerary is the bull shark population in Nuevitas bay of Santa Lucia, Cuba where visitors will dive and participate in a shark conservation program led by a local Cuban marine biologist.
“Cuba is a kind of biodiversity epicentre for sharks,” says Robert Hueter, director of the Center for Shark Research at the Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium in Sarasota, Florida, who is one of many working with Cuban scientists. Preventing the overfishing of sharks is a major part of Hueter’s research and outreach efforts. “The current fishery is not intensively targeting sharks but the catch is still significant,” Hueter says. “We have a collaboration with the University of Havana to study the sharks of Cuba, assess their status in Cuban waters, better understand Cuban fisheries for sharks and assist the Cubans in the development of a National Plan of Action for Sharks and Rays in Cuban waters.”
Your trip begins with environmental experiences in the northeast coast of Cuba in the sleepy town of Santa Lucia where horse drawn carriage taxis are the main transportation. While here, you’ll monitor local bull sharks and explore historical shipwrecks. Capture photos and help gather details for our 2nd ecological book. Then, you’ll spend the weekend in private, chic homes in the quiet, clean art colony of Camagüey – world renowned for its pottery.
If you’ve ever been to Havana, you will appreciate Camagüey’s fresh, clean air with flourishing artists of all kind—devoid of street hustlers.
The cobblestone, European streets with Cuban flare are made for pedestrians and quaint bicycles. You’ll delight in the humility of Camagüey people who are polite, accomplished, highly-educated and living out their passions in every creative way imaginable. They take care of each other. Be inspired as you take home new ideas and a fresh look at your own life.
Learn more about the program by downloading a detailed itinerary
- 20 Meals: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches & 7 dinners
- 10 Marine Immersions
- Entrance/guide fees for activities listed on itinerary
- Donation to local community organizations
- Bilingual local guides